Situated on the banks of the Wainganga river. Paoni is the modern name for ancient Pravarpur, which was the capital of the Wakataka dynasty, which ruled over Vidarbha region from the 3rd to the 6th century A.D.
During an excavation carried out in 1897 on the Jagannath and other hills here, the remnants of a Buddhist Stupa, larger in size than the famous Sanchi stupa were discovered. One of the famous Ashta-Vinayaks in Vidarbha is also located here. The small town has a fine fort, worth a visit.
Distance from Nagpur 80 km